Sunday, August 1, 2010

Projects Projects Projects!

Since our return from California we've been busy finishing up some projects that we've been intending to complete for some time now! Like, say, 6 or 7 years perhaps?  In the case of the antique stained glass window in our library, it has been that long! *blush*  It was installed in a hurry (I don't remember why) and the frame was never stained and varnished to match the woodwork around it.  You know how you can get used to things and start "not seeing" the flaws?... the window is so pretty, we stopped noticing the frame entirely!  So it sat there, and it sat there.....


VoilĂ ! One stained and varnished window frame which, not surprisingly, looks a whole lot better that way!  Magically, it makes the glass look better, too! Who knew?!

**********

And yet another project is completed: The highchair!  This was a Goodwill purchase for a couple bucks....originally I was going to remove the paint and have it be a wood-grain finish.  However, it was just too scarred and messed up.  There comes a time when you have to admit defeat and go to Plan B.  That would be paint!  I'm not a fan of paint--I've saved some beautiful antique pieces from "antique green" oblivion, to reveal awesome quarter-sawn oak beneath.  The transformation would convince most to shy away from paint stores forever!  But this time.... Paints have definitely improved--I found some lovely black (made by Rustoleum called "American Accents") that leaves it a satin-like, Colonial-style finish.  They had several shades: dark green, dark red, creamy white, slate blue; but I decided a basic black would work wherever I decided to put it.


Before (well, During.... I had removed at least 3 layers of paint in blue, white and yellow):





After:

The Fleur-de-lis was an afterthought.  I just love it!
Since I don't have any small people in the house, it might end up being a plant stand.  We shall see.











**********


And remember the fern stand from last year?  (Of course you don't, but here's a reminder!) That, too, proved to be a mess underneath its god-awful brown porch paint.  I had so hoped it was a lovely oak (it's very heavy!), but instead, it looked to be several pieces of mahogany glued together before being lathed.  Not a good look for actually seeing the wood!  





So....it got the black paint treatment as well! And it's done!


Now I just need a big Boston fern and I'll be set!











**********

Some stitchery has also been completed.  There's another more complicated one that's getting tantalizingly close to being done, but I did this one in the meantime for a change of pace!  Approximately 8x10, it was a quickie & fun to do.


**********

All in all, when I'm done with all of that, I prefer to be doing this....Cheers!

I just love summer!
**********

Ok, gotta go---I've got a lot on my plate this week.  Just you wait and see!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the paint transformations!!!! And that window....GORGEOUS!!! I will be waiting and seeing what's on your plate this week! Enjoy the rest of the weekend chicky!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...