Saturday, August 15, 2009

A face only a mother could love?

We had a visitor recently. As my husband and I sat out on the patio enjoying the flowers and birds over our morning coffee, I suddenly saw the strangest thing approaching us in the yard above the patio wall. It was dark brown and foaming at the mouth, snuffling along and very excited to be there. It sort of looked like a dog--more like a dog crossed with a manatee! All I could do was point in its general direction and stammer, "Da...da...da..." Truly, I wasn't entirely sure what it was at first.

Punch knew right away what it was; he was so excited to have one of his own in the yard! Oh my, such sniffing and snuffling, and sniffing some more again--add to that a nice, foamy layer of saliva to top it all off. Such fun!

Turns out this little lady's (yes, it's a girl!) name is Shelby and she lives 3 houses east of us. Her "mom" said she's quite an escape artist. I expect we'll be seeing more of Ms. Shelby in the future, as "Mom" is due for a real baby any day now. She's going to be busy! I can't imagine......

Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably still be a dog. Sigh! There's so little hope for advancement.
--"Snoopy" (Charles Schultz)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...